May 10, 2006

Contentment


"When you are content to be simply yourself and don't compare or compete, everybody will respect you." -Lao-Tzu

This is such an interesting quote as it sums up one of the biggest lessons I’ve learned and reflect on now that I’ve celebrated my thirtieth birthday.

I’ve always been extremely competitive. I wanted to be the tallest, fastest, smartest kid in school. Settling for second best to me was the equivalent of settling for first loser.

Those desires still gnaw at me today. I want to compare myself to others, compare my work, my abilities, my talents.

It can even extend to my children – I sometimes secretly wish my children to not only be successful, but to do everything faster, earlier and better than all the other children.

Needless to say, such motivation can leave you blind-sided by the threat of others being equally or more qualified than you. Sometimes, the collision is really only a dent to your ego, but the initial shock of the incident can completely throw off your day.

As I grow older and wiser, I am learning that I need to mellow out, and when I do, the stress of life tends to have less impact on my being.

“But godliness actually is a means of great gain when accompanied by contentment. For we have brought nothing into the world, so we cannot take anything out of it either. If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content. But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. But flee from these things, you man of God, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, perseverance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called, and you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.” 1 Corinthians 6:16.

No comments: