June 30, 2006

Horrible day...

Today has been horrible... I had a car accident on my way to work this morning.

Fortunately, I had already dropped the boys off at daycare. I came down the road the school is on and stopped to look before turning onto the main road. It was clear, so I progressed, only for my tires to spin out on me and the car go into a skid (it had just rained). I tried to compensate (thanks to cars, I remembered how to compensate). I missed going head first into a wall. I put the front corner of the car into the side of a parked van.

The van has hardly any damage on it (although the quote - yes I already have a quote!) is for $885 (remember, this is Bermuda... $50 in parts, $835 in labour... figures). My car, on the other hand, crumpled. The front left fender is shot.

I'm alright, for the most part. Really badly shaken up and I'm starting to feel the pain in my back - Sucks having Fibromyalgia. It really doesn't like the sudden, swift movements of an uncontrollable car.

Fortunately, I am getting a small bonus at work - looks like it'll used up almost completely to fix the tiny dent and paint scratches on the other car, or for DH to fix our car. He's planning on doing it because it's an old car (1997 or 98) - I think he's hoping to find another old car like ours and "buy" the particular section...

At least the guy who owns/drives the van (it belongs to a business) has been pretty good (other than rushing to the auto shop...). Young guy (not too bad looking either) and you could see he didn't know what to do with a woman who was crying like a baby... He patted me on the shoulder...

I had two angels come to my rescue. One was a gentleman who looked at the car and said, "Look, don't worry - it's just a thing. Things can be fixed. You need to calm yourself down." The other was a woman who works in a nearby office. She brought me inside for water and Tylenol to wait until DH came and so I could sit and try and calm down...

I did manage to make it to work. And now I'm sitting here, in pain, wanting to just cry and wishing I had just gone home like DH suggested (he left work in a friends car to meet me). Of course, at least my boys weren't in the car. I can only imagine how terrified Tommy would have been because he normally sits in the front passenger seat (old car, no seatbelts - Tommy sits up front with the shoulder belt and we installed a lap belt in the back for the baby's seat. DH finally managed to find more belts for the back after a 2 year search and was half-way done installing them when he broke his wrist).

3 comments:

TaniaJPS said...

You poor thing! I was in a car accident recently with my kids too (Back in late March). We were rear-ended, our car was totaled but thankfully me and my kids are all alive and kicking (picture and details on my blog (just go to March archive))! The digicommunity was such a HUGE supportive outlet! Sorry to hear about your fibromyalgia - that's no fun! This accident can't make that any better!

Let us know how things are progressing. Hope you feel better soon! HUGS!

Theresa said...

Oh Sara! How awful! I'm glad you're okay, but still. I can imagine how shaken up you are. Big hugs.

Anonymous said...

Sara
How dreadful for you,, I am so glad your children weren't with you,, I do hope you are feeling a bit better by now,, I was getting a bit worried as you had been so quiet. And that gentleman was right,, things are easier to fix and replace, than people.
Hugs