June 28, 2006

Why does this feel so… well… weird?

I’m a mom and my children go to school. Okay, they go to daycare, but, I still have to remain in communication with their teachers, letting them know when they are sick, if we have to leave early for something, how and when to administer medicine.

Most of the time, I am able to do this verbally, in person or on the phone. I can handle that. What feels really strange is writing notes to the teacher.

You’re probably saying, “Why? You’re a writer – letter writing should come easy!”

It does – I can blend pretty posies of prose when I want to – but there is something about writing:

“Dear Miss ~. Jonathan is teething. To help ease him through the process, please administer 1ml of Tylenol at 11am and 3pm. SIGNED Mrs. Sara Westhead”

It’s so lacking in creativity; so pedestrian. Plus, it feels just plain weird to be writing notes to the teacher!

I guess I better get used to it. My oldest is only JUST starting is educational career, so I still have YEARS of boring note writing ahead… Or maybe he’ll just learn to write his own notes early…

No comments: